Active Signal Technologies
was founded in 1996 by the core members of the advanced sensor and solid state actuator group at Lockheed Martin's corporate lab in Baltimore Maryland, U.S.A. The company performs cutting edge research and development into devices and systems based on piezoelectric, magnetostrictive, and electrostrictive materials.
Several devices have been developed using these "smart materials" and associated technologies:
• The Brain Acoustic Monitor (BAM), a device to assess traumatic brain injury based on acoustic characterization of cerebral perfusion.
• A noise immune stethoscope designed for use in background noise exceeding 105dBA.
• High frequency (above 1KHz) hydraulic valves and a solid state pump employing smart material actuators for next generation aircraft flight controls.
• High temperature capacitors made from novel ceramic dielectric materials with excellent performance to 200°C and above.
• Broad band graphite composite under-water communications transducers (WQC-6) used on Trident submarines.